Monday 4 August 2008

Special A - Episode 16

Life is tough when you have a cute girl chasing after you all the time. Trust me, I know... Yeah, right - A guy can dream, can't he?

Anyway, after pretty much every other major character in this series has been given their chance to become angst-ridden, so Jun gets his turn this time around as a result of becoming the object of Sakura's affections, leaving her marriage interview with Kei to become very much old news.


To be honest, I think I've maybe reached my limit of watching people struggle with their terrible childhood secrets in this series, as I found a lot of this episode to be entirely too angsty on this occasion. What made the whole thing worse (and setting aside his pretty abhorrent behaviour towards Sakura) was his reasoning behind avoiding the girl who was smitten over him - In short, being kissed by a girl, even on the cheeck, turns him into some kind of Casanova. Why? Because he was hypnotised by a TV show as a kid. Now, I know Special A is all about being a bit wacky over tackling any kind of serious school drama or anything, but this was a bit beyond the pale even by these standards.

Given how I've been quite generous to this series at times, I'm probably being overly harsh here, but yet another episode of flashbacks to rich kids having terrible childhoods has pushed me over the edge. While I've grown to like a fair number of the characters on show here, at the end of the day I'd rather get back to the 'serious business' of focusing on Kei and Hikari's relationship, which has proved to be far more interesting and entertaining, and in the process leaving all these overly-similar side-stories about the rest of the Special A set to one side.

No comments: