Friday 12 September 2008

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki - Episode 18

When Ouka falls ill, it's the responsibility of the rest of the Midarazeki household to take charge of all the usual chores, with predictably disastrous consequences. Ironically, 'predictable' is the perfect word, as despite its attempts to be zany and madcap it was immediately obvious which direction the episode was headed in from the very start, and I even managed to successfully predict the inevitable "shrinking to a microscopic size and travelling inside Ouka's body" segment of the episode long before it actually happened.


Such predictability wouldn't have been such an issue had this instalment been genuinely funny, but it was equally devoid of real laughs as it was originality, failing to raise more than the occasional smile from me - Much as I'd like to blame this on watching twenty-four episodes of Clannad in three days this week, I suspect the reason was simply that there was nothing on show to amuse me here. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but being crazy and off-the-wall will only get you so far before you actually have to start considering decent jokes and scenarios that make a series such as this worth watching.

Thus, I continue to be disappointed by Kyouran Kazoku Nikki compared to what it could have been, ane with eight episodes still to go it's going to be quite a marathon to keep up my interest enough to get through them all.

No comments: