Monday 1 September 2008

Hidamari Sketch x365 - Episode 8

I often have a bit of a moan on this 'Blog about series taking on the same old clichéd subject matter in episodes, but if I'm honest my complaints tend to go out of the window once I come across a slice-of-life series, particularly if it's a reasonably good one. Thus, you now know why I'm going to give Hidamari Sketch x365 a free pass for featuring a sports day episode - It's a slice-of-life series, they can't not have a sports day!


Episode seven of this series was so utterly perfect, and so hilarious, that it was always going to be difficult for the next instalment to live up to that kind of level, and in relative terms episode eight certainly isn't either as amusing or entertaining. That isn't to say that it's bad though, and there is still a sprinkling of funny moments to keep me satiated while the show's main quartet can sit and talk about snacks all day and still be eminently watchable as the supporting characters also do their part to keep each episode moving along nicely.

It's difficult to know what more to say about this episode - As a series, Hidamari Sketch x365 is hard not to like, and even when it isn't going in all guns blazing to get belly laughs from you it's the kind of thing that makes you want to be a Japanese girl living in an apartment block with some really sweet friends and... I think I'll stop there, I'm starting to sound weird. Anyway, hopefully you get my point, that if all else fails the beautiful and uncomplicated friendships on show in this series are a joy to be hold, both relaxing and amusing in equal measure, and it's that recipe that makes this series so easy-going and fun to watch.

No comments: