Monday 14 April 2008

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 - Episode 2

When I said that Zero had returned in last week's opener for Code Geass R2, I was wrong - This week, Zero returns... and how. If the opening episode left me with doubts as to whether this series could live up to the joys of the original, then episode two proved all of those doubts to be entirely unfounded.

At last, we find out just what happened between Lelouch and Suzaku at the end of the first series, just why Lelouch lost his memory and his Geass powers, and perhaps more importantly Rolo's presence on the scene as Lelouch's brother gets exploded in a brilliant (if slightly obvious) fashion. Add to that some other big twists in the tale, and what promises to be some very interesting interplay between Lelouch/Zero and Kallen, and you have the makings of a fantastic second series.

Funnily enough, episode two follows the early episodes of the original series in both the general feel and one of the major plot points (which I hope they don't do too often here), but with some top-notch animation and even more audacity from our anti-hero of the piece. It's brilliant, breath-taking, adrenaline pumping action at its best, and with a clever twist that has been the hallmark of Code Geass from the beginning.

I must admit there are still a few revelations in this episode that I worry might diminish the whole somewhat, and Kallen's transformation into the realm of almost constant fan-service isn't particularly becoming of her, but for now I can set all of that aside down to the simple fact that my heart is still pounding and I have a huge grin on my face, such was the fantastic ride that was episode two of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2.

No comments: