Wednesday 7 May 2008

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Episode 13 (Completed)

It would be clichéd in the extreme to say that I'm in despair at the fact that Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has finished, but... well, I am. Throughout the entire run of both series, it has overall proved itself to be perhaps the funniest show to come out of Japan... no, anywhere, in a long, long time. Sure, it doesn't always hit the spot, but its hit to miss ratio is exceptional, especially considering the surreal nature of much of its commentary which often runs the risk of descending into "Huh?" territory if you don't get a particular frame of reference.

Anyhow, this episode begins by tackling the problem of 'strays', from demons through to baseball players who aren't wanted by their team any more. It isn't the funniest of segments, but has a few laugh out loud lines in there that redeem it somewhat. Then we learn the story of Meru's lack of voice, which leads her father to try and find someone to dub her voice with typically amusing consequences. Finally, Zetsubou Sensei despairs at the numerous assumptions in society, which I won't talk about any more otherwise I'd be guilty of assuming you've watched the episode.

So, the show is over, but who would bet against a third series, despite a mention of being 'afraid' of said third season? While I don't want to see this franchise dragged into the ground by running it until it bleeds unfunny jokes, I do feel that there's plenty of life in it yet, particularly when you consider that the manga is still going strong.

That aside, in a Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei-esque topsy-turvy fashion I seem to have written my conclusions about the series at the start of this entry, so in an equally fitting tribute I suppose I should close it in an equally surreal fashion. Halibut children.

No comments: