Thursday 14 January 2010

Ladies versus Butlers! - Episode 2

I think it's fair to say that I was hardly enamoured by the first episode of Ladies versus Butlers!, so can its second instalment impress me any more? Given the appearance of some breasts within mere seconds of the episode starting, probably not.

After their rather "interesting" first meeting last time around, a lot of this episode makes the most of the love-hate relationship between new transfer student and wannabe butler Hino and upper-class lady of the future Sernia Lori Flameheart - To be fair this actually produces some mildly amusing moments, from Hino's "efforts" to serve Flameheart and her friend which naturally turns into a disaster through to the latter's attempt to save Hino from drowning which goes horribly wrong.


Of course, while all of this is good and well this series wouldn't be what it is without some utterly ridiculous fan service, and thus we're greeted with naked breasts from the off before moving on to some more "traditional" and teasing fan service such as maids in full uniform in swimming pools (no, really), and accidents which somehow involves a girl sitting on Hino's face for a while. "Wait, didn't they do that last episode?" I hear you cry - Well, yes, they did, but that doesn't mean that they can't do it again this time around, and indeed probably for every episode of the remainder of the series to be honest.

Still, for all of its eye-rollingly implausible and utterly predictable fan service, Ladies versus Butlers! does at least have some humour at its core - Sure, it isn't laugh out loud hilarity, but it at least raised the odd smile out of me during some of its more amusing moments. Whether that's enough to prevent me from giving up and finding a more wholesome outlet for my anime watching remains to be seen, but for now the light-hearted humour and my wider interest in just what Saikyou's character is all about is doing just enough for me to persevere.

2 comments:

kadian1364 said...

I'm following along just to see of it can outdo itself every episode, a la Kanokon. If you know what I mean.

Hanners said...

I gave up on Kanokon a couple of episodes in - At least this show has some vaguely (okay, extremely vaguely) redeeming features right now.