Tuesday 3 June 2008

Spice and Wolf - Episode 7

I can hear the massed cry already - "Spice and Wolf episode seven?! But this show finished aeons ago!". Indeed, so it did, but for reasons unknown... okay, for reasons of DVD sale profits, this episode never got broadcast, leaving us to wait for its DVD release to enjoy that last dose of Horo and Lawrence.

Needless to say, in choosing to cut an episode out mid-way through a season, this was never going to be an instalment that was hugely important in terms of the overall plot, and so it proves, with little more than lots of talk of apples (much to the delight of one of my fellow 'Bloggers, I'm assuming...) and some clothes shopping to keep us amused.

But oh, how it keeps us amused. As we learned from all of our previous watching of Spice and Wolf, plot progression is of little primary important to this show compared to the delightful interplay between the two lead characters, and this otherwise plot-free offering makes the most of being able to show that off. Thus, we see plenty of verbal sparring and flirting between the pair, indeed more-so on the flirting front than I remember in any other episode of the series.

Really, this 'lost' episode serves as little more than a reminder of what made Spice and Wolf so good in the first place - Decent dialogue and a great relationship between its main characters. Despite the lack of any progression from what is basically a stand-alone offering, marooned from its colleagues and the series as a whole to some degree, this little slice of wolf-girl and merchant delights has reminded me why I was so keen on seeing a second season of this commissioned before.

Oh, and to close, I really am glad I never studied economics at school. Buying clothes at a loss then selling them at a further loss is a net gain somehow? I think I feel my brain frying....

No comments: