Saturday 22 May 2010

Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance at the London BFI Anime Weekend

Last night I was lucky enough to spend the evening in London watching both Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone and (more importantly) Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance on the big screen for what proved to be a fan-fucking-tastic anime double bill.

While I'll hold off on writing a proper, full-on review for this 'blog until I get my grubby mitts on Evangelion 2.22, I've now published my (hopefully) spoiler-free thoughts on the Rebuild of Evangelion project and Evangelion 2.0 for UK Anime, so if you want to take a look then check it out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! I was there myself and kept a look out but I didn't spot you otherwise I would have come over and said hi (and thanked you for the blog I've been reading every day for the last year [and possibly asked for an autograph but that would have been creepy]).

I was exhausted by the end of 2.0. Having watched the series, the previous movies and read the various manga versions released in the UK I know that a retelling of the story doesn't mean they'll pull their punches and we shouldn't take anything for granted like storylines and outcomes for characters. I was completely on the edge of my seat! I stayed for the second day and saw 'Welcome to the Space Show' and 'Summer Wars' which were both fantastic.

Hanners said...

Shame I missed you, would have been great to say I've ever been asked for an autograph before, so that would have been a first. ;)

I would have liked to have stayed on for Welcome to the Space Show (I've already seen Summer Wars), so I somewhat regret not making the effort to see that too - It sounded like a pretty good movie as well by all accounts?

Unknown said...

Absolutely! WTTSS was great, it was like Galaxy Express 999 (as one of the questioners observed in the Q&A with the director and producer) mixed with the captivating storytelling of a Miyazaki movie (Spirited Away springs to mind). Catch it if you can.