Wednesday 12 November 2008

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora - Episode 9

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora continues on its rather sweet and sedate way, somehow managing to keep me hooked with its strangely addictive charms as we enter what I suppose you could call the home straight episodes.

After Sora finally helped Gota make proper use of his magical powers last time around, Gota looks to thank her by taking her out on a date "of sorts", which ends up becoming a date proper, with holding hands and a kiss and everything. Awww.... However, unbeknown to both of them that whole state of affairs opens up a bit of a mini love triangle, Hiyori Yamabuke also clearly interested in Gota, and the whole thing falls apart with a little drama towards the end of the episode as Gota (I'm assuming) gets entirely the wrong end of the stick.


This is the kind of series that I can't really talk about in any particularly different terms compared to what I've said already - Its relaxed pace and plot will be anathema to some, but for me watching an episode of Natsu no Sora proves to be almost like a mini-holiday, the kind of thing that makes you want to go out and visit new places, eat new foods and talk the night away with someone you get on and feel comfortable with. Sure, the animation isn't all that hot, and still jars with the hyper-realistic backdrops, but I can forgive it that on account of the warm and realistic characters and relationships portrayed within. It's that realism (despite the magical setting) which has both drawn me in and keeps me there at the end of the day, something which I can only applaud it for given how unsure I was about the series from its early episodes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I see they ripped the cloth texturing process from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!