Tuesday 27 January 2009

Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo - Episode 3

We're now three episodes into Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, and I still can't quite shake the feeling that this series is throwing as much against the wall as possible simply to see what sticks.

Anyhow, this episode begins where the last left off, with Akiha still trying to steal the source of Leopard's power, a task made more difficult by the interference of Kannagi of the ICP. However, ultimately she succeeds in bringing Leopard's power balls (there is a pretty amusing allusion towards these balls as Leopard's... well, balls... here) back to the colony, giving him the ability to destroy whatever it was that these orbs were stolen from using an anti-matter cannon.


Following on from this and the general sense of confusion and cover-up that it brings, Kannagi's death is faked so that she can continue to investigate this case undercover, an investigation that she undertakes as a transfer student in Akiha's class in true anime cliche style. Of course, Kannagi's attempts at building a relationship with Akiha are completely inept, and Honoka soon sees right through her, attacking her as an enemy of Leopard before Akiha breaks up their skirmish.

So, after three episodes I'm still not really much closer to figuring out where this series is going, but after my doubts following the last episode I have to admit that this could end up being a somewhat fun little show to watch as long as you don't take it too seriously. Of course, Leopard steals the show once again with all the best lines, from the aforementioned balls to baked potatoes, but beyond that there's an indefinable something that held my interest in this particular episode - As a series it wasn't laugh out loud funny, gripping to watch or fantastically action packed, yet it "just worked" in its own kitsch and odd little way. I thought I might be dropping this series after not really enjoying episode two, but this instalment has persuaded me to hold out and persevere with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha. So far, I think this series is just cute and funny so I think I will be sticking with it.