Friday 9 January 2009

Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 13

After a break of a couple of weeks, it's time to get back to After Story - The show where a couple who have never kissed suddenly decide to get married.

Now, I have to confess that my patience with After Story has begun to wear a little thin over recent episodes, perhaps making that fortnight long break much needed, and sure enough coming back to the series a little fresher my heart has softened to it once again. Of course, the episode begins with a ridiculous premise, where Nagisa's father refuses to listen to what Tomoya has to say to him until he manages to beat him at an impromptu game of baseball. If you're a parent and have done this to the boyfriend of your daughter, please let me know. Anyhow, after a lot of hard work and practice Tomoya finally hits a home run (or did Akio go easy on him?), and gets to spill the beans about how he wants to live with Nagisa, marry her and so on.


So, her parents accept this, and Nagisa gets to go and live with Tomoya. Have they kissed yet? Who knows, we haven't seen it. From here the episode fast forwards rather, spinning us through Christmas at a rate of knots, and taking us to Nagisa's graduation - Except she's ill, and so can't make the ceremony. Sweetie that he is, Tomoya instead organises a private graduation ceremony for Nagisa, bringing together all of the usual suspects to celebrate. Finally, to top off the "Ahhh..." factor, the episode ends with Tomoya and Nagisa getting married. BUT WE STILL HAVEN'T SEEN THEM KISS YET!!! Ahem, sorry, got a little over-excited there.

Anyway, compared to recent instalments this particular episode of After Story at least managed to bring back some of the facets of the series that I love - It was often quite sweet in its own soppy kind of way, and the scene involving a drunk Nagisa after her first taste of sake was one of the more hilarious things that Clannad has brought us, and was worth the entry fee on its own. Thus, this episode seems to have gotten Clannad: After Story back on track... Let's hope it doesn't lose its way again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...the sake scene was the funniest thing yet! XD
i can't wait for ep 14 though.
The previews show that indeed they'll take a closer step to MAYBE a KISS?...LOL *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I actually had something similar happen to me when I was in high school. I had girlfriend who's father was a former college basketball player, and I had to play a match against him. I had no chance of winning but I think that he was checking my "man card" to see if I was a wimp. I also loved the Nagisa drinking scene, it would do Tomoya well to keep a little sake in the house once Nagisa moves in.

Hanners said...

You've lived an anime cliche?! My hat goes off to you Sir, I salute you!! ;)

Anonymous said...

i doubt they will show a kiss scene....but they will show nagisa dying after having her baby with tomoya