Wednesday 16 July 2008

Itazura na Kiss - Episode 14

Maybe I'm just too old to understand it any more, but judging by recent anime the way relationships progress certainly seems to be changing. Yesterday I saw Allison to Lillia's Wil not tell Allison he loved her until after he got her pregnant, and now we have this series.


After thirteen episodes made up almost entirely of Naoki bullying, belittling and berating poor old Kotoko, in the space of a single episode we see this situation turned around on his head so completely that I'm always lost for words. Never mind dating, within these twenty-five minutes we go from barely talking to one another to full-blown marriage. It's the sort of thing that I might have just about managed to pass off as romantic if it wasn't for the fact that I still harbour a deep dislike for Naoki, and although his demeanour has naturally improved for this episode there was still the odd glimpse of that irascible asshole that you'd rather bludgeon to death than engage in conversation with.

It seems like an eternity, but we've finally reached the point where Kotoko and Naoki become a couple (and I can only say it happened in a very badly-paced manner due to my aforementioned point), so the question probably shouldn't revolve so much around how good this episode was, but rather the focus should perhaps be: what can the rest of this series offer? I have to confess, I'm curious as to how (or even if) this progression will change the Naoki/Kotoko dynamic, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Provided Naoki can at least be a bit less of a nasty piece of work then it should hopefully make for a more bearable second half to Itazura na Kiss... My fingers are well and truly crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me start by saying that I have never watched Itazura na Kiss, just read a bit of the manga and the mangaka's other work, Aishite Night.

> After thirteen episodes made up almost entirely of Naoki bullying, belittling and berating poor old Kotoko

When I read that, I realized something: It would not surprise me if Naoki just continued with his bullying and belittling in the second part of the anime. Marriage and contempt are not contradictory at all, they just seem to. After all, it's not like this is not a common thing in traditional marriages, especially that conservative kind.