Thursday 23 July 2009

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Episode 3

A week just doesn't seem complete without a new episode of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei at the moment, so thank goodness a third instalment of Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is here to amuse me; in fact, is it just me or is this new series getting funnier by the episode?

This latest episode begins with a segment on the dangers of flipping switches, particularly when the switches in question pertain to people - This leads us on to some wonderful discoveries, such as the noise Meru makes when you hit her, and what happens when you touch behind Nozomu's ear; items which made for some hilarious moments.


Next up is the plethora of difficult choices we have to make in modern life - When faced with two preferences, which should we choose? Why, an entirely unrelated third option of course. Again, this train of thought gets taken to ridiculous extremes that had me crying with laughter, culminating in Nozomu "posting" himself into a baby hatch. It makes sense when you see it, trust me. Well, sort of.

Finally for this episode, Nozomu's double is on the loose again, as the real Zetsubou sensei laments the over-protective society in which we live - This is probably the least funny but the most accurate and biting satrical segment of the episode, although in this case being over-protective seems absolutely justified when there are snipers everywhere.

During Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's three series (and one OVA), I feel like I've used the "best episode yet" tagline entirely too many times, but for me personally I think this particular instalment must be up there with the cream of the crop - The fact that someone poked their head around the door mid-episode to ask what on Earth I was watching that was so funny after hearing my near-constant peals of laughter says it all really. The trouble is, I'm going to be remembering some of these gags and giggling to myself for another week now and making myself look like a lunatic in the process - Thanks Koji Kumeta and company!

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention how great this episode's title sequence was... A return to form after the somewhat disappointing credits used for the first two episodes.

No comments: